Having a new house is fun because we just have to go in and occupy it. But what if you live in a house that is outdated and in need of minor renovations. The trivial thing that feels the most disturbing is that the house is in a leaky condition, for example a leaky roof, a leaky roof and also that caused by leaking gutters. Because previously it was discussed about leaky tiles, this time it will be discussed about how to repair leaky gutters according to the type of gutters perfectly and correctly. Okay, please listen to how to deal with leaking gutters below.
which has a tropical climate and has high rainfall, in general the existing housing is roofed with tile, zinc or asbestos, and not so many have deck roofs, except for shop houses or terraced houses. And for some reason, most of the roofs still use gutters as a roof sweetener, which serves as a temporary reservoir for rainwater before it falls to the ground, even if the house is modern or minimalist.
Gutters are usually located at the back of the house, where opposite tiles meet, some are even located on the side and front of the house. Gutters can be made of several kinds of materials, such as plastic, fiber, zinc alkane, ordinary zinc, carpet and cast concrete gutters. There is no problem having gutters as long as you know and take care of them regularly. Then what if your house has a leaking problem in the gutters. Here I will explain how to repair leaky gutters.
How to repair zinc, plastic and carpet gutters
- Check first the cause of the leak of the gutter, if the gutter is made of PVC plastic, zinc and carpet it may be from a loose connection or the adhesive power of the glue is no longer good. PVC gutters with holes or holes in the end are already brittle, on zinc the gutters may also be brittle and have rust.
- If something like the above happens, you must fix it immediately before something worse happens. If there is a loose connection to the PVC gutter, immediately open the joint, if the condition of the end of the gutter being connected is still good, re-glue the joint with good quality PVC glue. The trick is to clean both ends of the connection with sandpaper until the rest of the worn glue is clean. Apply PVC glue on both ends of the connection until it is covered by all the ends of the gutter, then glue it, let it dry and stick. Reinstall the PVC gutter.
- Zinc gutters or carpets that are perforated by rust or torn, can be patched using a small carpet or zinc. The trick is to cut a rusty or torn part, take a small piece of zinc or a carpet the size of a rusty hole, put it in the middle. Prepare a leak-proof coating, apply it to the joints, coat with pieces of fiber, then polish again using a brush until thick and even. Let dry.
- If the leak is too severe, and you have to replace all parts of the gutter with a new one. If this is done, replace it with a wider and thicker gutter, if necessary, coat the bottom of the gutter carpet with zinc first. This action is carried out for gutters whose position is at the meeting of the two ends of the tile, for example in the middle of the house.
How to repair cast concrete gutters
Actually this cast concrete gutter is the best gutter in terms of strength and durability. But sometimes there are cases of gutters seeping, so there is a puddle of water on the floor of the house. Hopefully the following trick can help deal with this problem.
A website like nashvillecleanco.com will provide you with the highest quality in the industry.
- Check the leak point on the gutter, if the gutter is above the ceiling, open the ceiling first. But if the position of the gutter is far above the ceiling, you can check it through the ceiling, enter through the ceiling emergency door.
- If the point of leakage has been found, measure and mark the part of the ceiling that is leaking from the nearest wall. This makes it easier for us to repair the gutters from above.
- Cast concrete gutters can leak or seep from several possible causes, including: a poor mix of cast during casting, not being re-coated on it after casting, or a poor mix of grout for gutter walls, the connection between cast concrete and worn walls that don’t stick together, don’t break down.
- Check by pouring water into the gutters of several buckets, if there is a puddle in the middle or several points on the floor of the gutter, then this will cause seepage, because the water has been stagnant for too long it will surely seep down and there will be a leak at some point
- The solution is to thicken the floor of the gutter using a mixture of cement and concrete sand. Do the following steps: prepare the gray cement mixture, and the mixture of concrete sand that has been sifted with a ratio of 1 part cement and 1.5 parts concrete sand, give enough water to become a plaster mixture.
- If the end of the roof (either tile or asbestos or zinc) interferes, slide it first so that there is loose space for us to carry out gutter repairs.
- Attach the thread to the floor of the gutter at both ends of the gutter, using concrete nails as a handle. Adjust the slope towards the gutter drain hole.
- Sprinkle and smooth the thick mixture throughout the gutter floor.
- Spread and flatten the cement and sand combined thread using a wooden spoon and rub, the stucco height must be level with the thread, rub and smooth the surface of the gutter plastering. Do not let there be an indentation that makes the water stagnate.
- If the plaster is a bit dry, flush it with a thick paste and smooth it out until there are no small holes in the floor and gutter walls.
- Close the end of the roof again, trim if the plaster has dried.
Thus, how to overcome and repair a leaky house due to damaged gutters according to the type and cause. Hopefully this article can help the problem that you may be facing right now.